HI EVERYONE,
I'm just sending out this friendly reminder that I really need to start receiving the orders for the March 11th and 13th cannery sessions. On the 11th we will start work at 10am on Thursday, and leave when we have finished all the food ordered. Then on Saturday the 13th we will start at 2pm and again leave when we have finished. No session will last more than 4 hours. Everyone will help each other get the orders finished....
So far I only have one person ordering from Katy 1st Ward. I know that there are more people who should be interested, if they are just given the opportunity to understand what we are doing. We are very lucky to get any Saturday sessions between January and May because of the increased number of peanut butter sessions for the first part of 2010.
As a word of warning, our Peanut Butter weekend is also in March - 19th & 20th. You can find the times and ward assignments in our Stake Directory and Calendar (the gold colored book).
I do need the March dry pack orders at the latest by 5pm on Sunday January 31 -- -- please do not procrastinate. I always have to follow up with people to clarify something about their orders. So, the earlier I receive the orders, so much the better. It will also give me an idea if I need to create another session if too much food is ordered. I don't limit numbers of participants, but I do limit number of pounds of food to be done in a 4 hour period of time.
Believe me, this has happened twice in the past 2 months - and I have had to move extended family groups to separate sessions. This is good. If your ward members have family members in other parts of Houston, members or not members, this is a great time to put together an order that will benefit the entire family. We have had aunts and uncles, cousins, grandpas and grandmas, moms and dads, brothers and sisters, and they are doing their orders together. If members have neighbors who are interested, now is the time to help them make an order and GO WITH THEM by ordering something for yourself (albeit very small). I do require that a non-member be accompanied with their member family or friend.
Our Visiting Teaching themes this year seem to be based on becoming more self-reliant in all areas of our lives. This is just one of the areas, but seems to be a scary one for many people.
By the way, did anyone catch the Good Morning America spotlight on "Leslie Chisolm" from Friendswood, TX? There may be a lot of negative comments about the way she had done her menus, but we do not know if this woman has the some very picky eaters among her 6 children. My daughter has 5 children who are VERY PICKY eaters, and I really don't think many would approve of some of their meals, but the family is healthy despite of the things they will eat.
The main idea that I got from this is: If we plan out our meals more carefully, and shop the SALES instead of impulse buying, we can save $100s per year. Leslie Chisolm looks very much like a good LDS mother.... Perhaps we can all reap something from her story. Here is the link:
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Parenting/mom-plans-meals-entire-year/story?id=9618348
Have a wonderful weekend and coming week!
Beckie
No comments:
Post a Comment